christianelliott

christianelliott

I enjoy reading for the absolute joy of it and am always on the lookout for a great new read. Most interested in fiction and great storytelling. I also enjoy books on cooking, yoga and philosophy.

Let the Great World Spin
Colum McCann
Bel Canto
Ann Patchett

The Shack

The Shack - Wm. Paul Young This book was an incredible chore for me to read. The book is tagged as Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity and, for the most part, the tragedy part was mildly compelling. However, once inside The Shack, (where the original tragedy occurred and where the lead character is summoned years later by a cryptic letter signed only by Papa), the novel turns into a religious diatribe on how we deal with loss, love and forgiveness presented by a Holy Trinity comprised of characters from different ethnic background thus confirming that Affirmative Action is alive and well in residing in Heaven. I do no think that The Shack will shake any religious foundations and, if it does, then it is safe to assume that those foundations were shaky to begin with. For the most part. I found it to be a big, preachy snooze but...for those who like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing they would like.